The type of abuse generally discussed in the posts is past sexual abuse and healing from the abuse; the lessons and insights can typically be applied to those who have experienced any type of abuse.
National Domestic Violence Hotline: (800) 799-SAFE (7233) or Live Chat
- Immediate support/path to safety for those currently experiencing abuse.
Celebrate Recovery (CR): Christ-centered recovery/support for people with hurts, habits, hang-ups and addiction
- There are a variety of support groups for survivors of abuse, but CR supports men and women (together in some functions and separate for times of sharing) and it will help support and address both the main hurts (i.e. abuse) and the potential resulting issues (i.e. relationship issues, control issues, fear, etc.)
Counseling Support: (855) 771-HELP (4357)
- Focus on the Family has counselors that can talk to you by phone and help refer local counseling services. Weekdays: 6a.m.-8p.m. Mountain Time
Crossroads Counseling: (Tulsa, OK Area): (918) 622-4949
- Crossroads Counseling provides a variety of services, including counseling/therapy, EMDR, psychiatric/medication management. Recommend Ron Wood for therapy/counseling services.
Home Improvement Ministry: (HIM) (Tulsa, OK Area): (918) 622-4949
MEN OR WOMEN
Book: Healing is a Choice by Stephen Arterburn
- 10 decisions that will transform your life and 10 lies that will prevent you from making them
SPECIFICALLY ABOUT MEN
Book: Not Quite Healed by Cecil Murphey and Gary Roe
- 40 Truths for male survivors of childhood sexual abuse
Book: When a Man You Love Was Abused by Cecil Murphey
SPECIFICALLY ABOUT WOMEN
Book: Intimate Issues by Linda Dillow and Lorraine Pintus
- This book is geared toward issues impacting healthy sexual relations between a husband and wife. There is one specific chapter entitled "Is it possible to get beyond the pain of sexual abuse?)